Bill Malchisky September 14 2012 05:00:00 AMMeets
When viewing recently the European Cup (UEFA EURO 2012) with several friends in a Skype chat, we realized that many of us not only enjoy watching soccer (football, for non-Americans), but many of us also enjoy playing the sport. After a few quips regarding getting together to play... someone asked, "Why not at Lotusphere?" The idea was born. I called the Dolphin Swan immediately to learn about the possibility for a small field to play soccer with my friends and fellow Loti at IBM Connect 2013. We have a few options, stemming from a sand pitch to an artificial surface as well. The property was open to the idea as it would be with Lotusphere attendees and they know us to be a great group of people (I telephoned before the conference name change for clarity). So we will have a friendly game with a great group of people, at a stellar event, in a fantastic location. Interested?
Here are the updated particulars:
- Date: Saturday, 26 January 2013
- Time: 10am start, with a noon finish with cocktails afterward for recovery purposes
- Place: Dolphin Swan hotel -- connecting beach area (where we have the Sunday night party)
- Cost: Free
Final details will be provided here in January, 2013, before the event.
Final Details - 8 January 2013
- Arrive before 10a, play commences as close to 10:00 am as possible; if you want to stretch before-hand, arrive accordingly
- BONUS - For those that are interested, we will have a flag football game afterwards -- you don't have to participate in soccer to play football; some of the international attendees wanted to try playing, so I arranged it with the hotel; football starts immediately following soccer, around 11:30 am
- Lunch - after cocktails, we can all enjoy lunch pool side on the beach; if colder, we can move indoors
Note: You are more welcome to bring your favorite tasty beverage to enjoy as well, just make sure that you leave the glass in the hotel and use paper, plastic, or metal containers on the beach. It's a hotel policy and one that I condone; no one wants to cut their feet on broken glass, buried in the sand.
If you are interested in participating, please either append a comment to this post, or send me an e-mail with the subject, "Soccer Saturday". We have a limited number of spaces of course, as a 30 v 30 game isn't much fun, but stop by and cheer your fellow community members if you choose. I understand of course, that some people enjoy shopping on Saturday as well. So, for those that do not or will not this year, an alternative exists to watching television in one's room, while waiting for B.A.L.D. to commence.
Note: All I ask, is that if your availability changes, please let me know, so we can keep the participant list current , allowing those that want to play to be in attendance.
Thank you and see you in Orlando!
- Comments